Legal nature and regulatory framework
Ingeniería de Sistemas para la Defensa de España, S.A., S.M.E., M.P. (Isdefe, S.A., S.M.E., M.P.), is a State-owned commercial company pertaining to the State institutional public sector pursuant to Act 40/2015 of 1 October on the Legal Framework of the Public Sector, Articles 2 and 84, and which was incorporated in Madrid on 17 October 1985 by approval at the Cabinet Meeting of 18 September of the same year.
Isdefe is attached to the Ministry of Defence. The National Institute of Aerospace Technology (INTA) is the sole owner of the entirety of its share capital.
In line with our legal and business nature, the object of our company is:
- Provision of engineering, consulting and technical assistance services, particularly those concerning Defence and Security.
- Preparation, development and implementation of projects and programmes concerning contracts for works, supply and services related to the areas stated in the previous section.
- Support, assistance and advice to the national industry at the request of the Ministry of Defence.
- Provision of advice and assistance services on Industrial Cooperation Agreements related to programmes for material procurement and Defence contracts, as well as support in negotiation, execution and follow-up of international Defence programmes that Spain takes part in and Defence Projects abroad, including humanitarian aid and peacekeeping missions.
- Specialist technical support in the fields of cutting-edge technologies such as:
- Stations for monitoring and collection of data from space vehicles.
- – Launch and landing sites.
- – Equipment calibration, testing and certification facilities for aerospace projects.
- – Experimental facilities for new aerospace projects.
- – Aeronautical and space reporting and documentation centres, and processing centres
for the analysis, processing and distribution of information from satellites.
- – Other activities linked to aeronautical and space engineering.
Isdefe, as a State-owned commercial company, is attached to the Ministry of Defence. The company is run by the Secretariat of State for Defence, which in turn holds the Presidency of Isdefe, the General Meetings and the Board of Directors.
Risks, policies and action lines
Our policies, objectives and action lines are determined on the one hand by our status as a public company and on the other hand by how we carry out our own activity. They are all in line with commitments based on our values and action de principles, which contribute to making our mission and vision a reality.
At Isdefe we entrust the achievement of our strategic objectives to an adequate management of identified risks, complying with legal requirements and setting out the necessary internal rules for this purpose. This is stated in our Employee Portal for the proper conduct of our business.
As a preliminary step to the implementation of actions leading to risk eradication and/or minimisation, we have identified those linked to Isdefe’s activity, including:
Changes in rules
Lack and suitability of resources
Capacity to face changes
Risks in the business context
Risks of the digital society
Human Resources risks
Financial and economic risks
Information reporting risks
The Code of Ethics is an integral part of Isdefe’s governance model and is based on the guiding principles of integrity, professionalism and respect which set the standards for the behaviour of its professionals.
Over the last few years, an ethical culture has been consolidated thanks to ongoing training and promotion of the values stated in the Code, the management of the Ethics Mailbox and the existence of a Technical/Ethics Committee for management and monitoring.
Act 19/2013 of 9 December on Transparency, Access to Public Information and Good Governance, states in the preamble: “Countries with greater levels of transparency and good governance rules have stronger institutions promoting economic growth and social development.”
In this regard, Isdefe contributes to the attainment of this general principle by complying with obligations set forth in the Act on the publication of institutional, organisational and planning information, as well as information on its Transparency Portal.
Sustainable development: 2030 Agenda
September 2019 marks four years since the approval by the UN of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and with it the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to transform the world.
Aprovechando este aniversario, Isdefe is committed to the 2030 Agenda and leveraged the anniversary to undertake various actions throughout the year in line with this commitment such as, for example, joining the #aliadosdelosODS disclosure campaign coordinated by the Spanish chapter of UN Global Compact. The activities carried out included:
Outreach over communication channels:
- Internal: News stories on the Employee Portal and broadcasts on TV screens at Isdefe headquarters.
- External: Publication of the news story “The Governance Model at Isdefe” in the News section of the corporate website and incorporation of the 2030 Agenda logo in the website footer.
- Information day for all staff: Aula Argos explaining the meaning and implications of the SDGs, as well as Isdefe’s contribution to them, from a corporate and operational point of view.
- Delivery of a glass bottle marked with the 2030 Agenda and Isdefe logos, with a double objective- ending single-use plastics and promoting the 2030 Agenda throughout the workforce.
Isdefe’s contribution to the SDGs
Isdefeas a public service company, has a roadmap for the effective integration of the SDGs into its business strategy. Priority SDGs have been identified in three areas of action: Economic, Environmental and Social.
SDG 16: “PEACE, JUSTICE AND STRONG INSTITUTIONS”
Isdefe develops its activity strategy in two areas:
- Strengthening of its role as a benchmark inhouse technical service provider to the Central Government in the field of Defence and Security.
- Promotion of the definition of new concepts to develop the National Security Strategy.
SDG 8: “DECENT WORK AND ECONOMIC GROWTH”
Job Creation: 1,650 jobs at 31 December 2019.
Human resources development, training, motivation, recognition and talent retention within the Public Sector framework.
Talent Acquisition Programme.
SDG 9: “INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE”
Fostering innovation: Horizons Network 2020. Analysis and forecasting of future challenges facing the Central Government.
R&D projects: R&D ideas-gathering and management programme.
Promotion of the modernisation of corporate services, incorporating new technologies into processes and following the lines set in the Digital Transformation Plan of the Central Government and its public agencies.
Alignment of public procurement with the SDGs.
SDG 17: “PARTNERSHIPS FOR THE GOALS”
Agreements with Universities: CITIUS Scholarship Program; Extracurricular Internship Program for Undergraduate and Master Students, Awards for Best Research Work.
Partnerships with organisations working for sustainable development: UN Global Compact, Forética, Foundations and Associations.
SDG 7: “AFFORDABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY”
Commitment to renewable energy: Consumption of energy from renewable energy sources.
Circular economy: in-house energy production using solar panels.
Incorporation of environmental clauses in award criteria and public tender processes for the supply of electricity at Isdefe facilities.
SDG 13: “CLIMATE ACTION”
Environmental Management System promoting the efficient use of available natural resources, pollution prevention and more environmentally friendly management of generated waste.
Commitment to optimising the performance of the cooling and climate control systems at the Isdefe headquarters to reduce their electricity consumption.
Carbon Footprint Measurement (Scopes 1 and 2).
Circular economy: sustainable use of resources, non-use of single-use plastics, reduced paper consumption, use of rainwater.
SDG 11: “SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES”
Committed to sustainable mobility: Implementation of electric vehicle charging points at the Isdefe headquarters.
Committed to teleworking: Teleworking pilot programme
Support for online meetings, video conferences, webinars, digital signatures, online training plan, etc.
Environmental Management System: Selective waste separation at source plan and a General Clean Point.
SDG 3: “GOOD HEALTH AND WELL-BEING”
Healthy Company Policy: Creation of a Healthy Company Committee.
Provision of vaccinations and health improvement campaigns
for all employees.
Creation of a Nursing Room.
Initiatives aimed at improving staff health and safety
SDG 4: “QUALITY EDUCATION”
Social Action Programme.
Promotion of STEM subjects among young students.
Promotion of education through the donation of
obsolete computer material.
SDG 5: “GENDER EQUALITY”
Promotion of the Equal Opportunities Plan.
Promotion of work/life balance measures.
SDG 1: “NO POVERTY”
Social Action Programme: Solidarity Campaigns to alleviate food
SDG 10: “REDUCED INEQUALITIES”
Social Action Programme: Corporate volunteering project through the organisation of leisure activities for people with disabilities, with a dual objective: to promote the comprehensive development of people with disabilities and rest for their families and to offer Isdefe employees the possibility of developing their role as volunteers.
and areas of action
Information and Communication
Technology (ICT) Sector
COMMITMENTS TO OUR STAKEHOLDERS
Committed to our
Committed to our
associations and foundations
Participation in trade shows, seminars